After a long hiatus, I was finally ready to take another shot at the window farm concept. My brother supplied me with the materials and all I needed to do was assemble the apparatus and transplant my veggies.
Assembly was fairly easy with few snags. Some of the smaller clay pellets I used instead of soil clogged the drip spouts at the bottom the planter. By using larger pieces for the bottom, the water had no trouble going full cycle from the pump to the top and dripping all the way back into the tank.
I had to adjust the height a little bit due to the dimensions of my window, but that too was fairly straightforward.
Transplanting wasn’t overly difficult. Just wanted to keep the roots intact with as little damage to the plants as possible.
- I selected my four smallest tomato plants to transplant into the window farm.
- All the water was drained from their jars prior to transplanting
- I gently shook free as many pellets as I could without snagging any roots.
- Laying the jar nearly horizontal, I shook free the roots and remaining clay pellets.
- Using a wet paper towel, I carried the plant with its roots and clay and deposited them in the window farm planters.
- Four plants were transplanted with a few inches of vertical space for growth and optimal light.
The next step was testing out the pump and drip tank cycling. I put it on 15 minute intervals approximately every 2 hours using a standard outlet timer. It works fine and has been photosynthesizing for about a week now with no problems!
As for my other plants… I had to put down some of my green onions that wilted to much to be revived. I was away for a few days and the water became a little stagnant. I am devising a method of growing them hydroponically with some of my spare parts and another air pump. Check back for details later.
My basil wilted a bit while I was away, but I was able to revive it fully with some fresh water and sunlight. None of the leaves or stems died off thankfully.
The remaining two tomato plants are healthy and well, though still stuck in some inadequately small glass jars until I can construct a second window garden apparatus.
My thyme and cilantro plants are hanging in there, though barely. I rinsed out the containers and replanted them with less clay pellets and water for slightly less moist conditions to see if it helps them develop beyond the first few leaves. I may need to find another type of soil or more optimal conditions for them. More on this later.
I also sprouted some snow peas which I just planted last night. Hopefully they start growing soon, though I have no idea what I will do with them once they’ve sprouted.